Catamaran Bio is developing novel, off-the-shelf CAR-NK cell therapies designed to treat a broad range of cancers, including solid tumors. Our proprietary capabilities enable us to harness the natural cancer-fighting properties of NK cells and enhance and tailor their effectiveness with the power of synthetic biology and innovative non-viral cell engineering. We are using our TAILWIND™ Platform, an integrated suite of technologies, to specifically address the end-to-end methods of engineering, processing and manufacturing NK cells and rapidly advance our pipeline of CAR-NK cell therapy programs. Catamaran is backed by leading financial and corporate investors, including SV Health Investors, Sofinnova Partners, Lightstone Ventures, Takeda Ventures and Astellas Venture Management.
Catamaran Bio is seeking a highly motivated, experienced, collaborative, and creative Immune Cell Therapy expert to lead the development and implementation of pre-clinical candidate selection and IND-enabling research activities for the advancement of transformative immune cell therapies for Oncology. This position reports to the SVP, Research. This individual will be a subject matter expert in Immune Oncology, managing the scientific output of multiple team members. The role will encompass cross-functional leadership across our internal teams and with external academic and industry partners. This position is an exciting opportunity to work with talented scientists within a dynamic start-up environment in the Cambridge, MA biotech ecosystem.
- Help develop, shape, and implement pipeline strategy for current and future engineered Immune Cell Therapy assets in Oncology and beyond, bridging early Discovery with early clinical Development
- Integrate knowledge from diverse sources to drive activities to Candidate Selection by generating translational hypotheses, working with scientific team members in identifying models and assays suitable for hypothesis testing, contributing to the design of experiments, and coordinating execution and data analysis.
- Support development of pre-clinical program blueprints, including articulation of key scientific question, assessment of program milestones and risks, and development of project roadmaps, flow charts, timelines, and go/no-go criteria to move projects through key project stage gates.
- Provide subject matter expertise and strategic vision to matrixed cross-functional teams to align experimental workflows across line-functions
- Manage and mentor a team of 4+ in vitro Cellular Immunologists to execute on Candidate Selection and IND-enabling studies
- Manage and mentor drug discovery project team leaders to guide the team’s pre-clinical strategy to FIH trials.
- Support the development of productive relationships between cross-functional team members to enable seamless collaboration. Interface with platform team on novel methods to enhance immune cell antitumor activity, phenotype team to optimally include cell phenotype in pipeline decisions, and clinical team for developing the preclinical plan to support the therapeutic hypothesis for a given indication and antigen target.
- Contribute to selection and engagement of external collaborators/KOLs to guide and implement the pre-clinical strategy.
- Manage relationships with academic collaborators
- Contribute to key documentation and presentations for projects moving through internal review stage gates and regulatory submissions.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- PhD in Immuno-Oncology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, or other relevant field with 12+ years of post-graduate experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry
- Deep and current subject matter expertise in Immune Oncology and Adoptive Cell Therapy
- NK cell expertise strongly preferred
- Superior scientific and therapeutic area knowledge and solid understanding of emerging research in portfolio relevant areas
- Previous experience as a direct people manager and cross-functional drug discovery team leader
- Demonstrated ability to develop and oversee implementation of scientific activities and management of others directly and in a matrixed structure
- Experience influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders
- Able to inspire, motivate, and drive results
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Invests time in helping others to enhance their skills and perform at a higher level
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, reviewing and editing scientific documents including slide presentations
- Ability to persuasively convey both ideas and data, and to distil complex issues and ideas down to concise comprehensible terms
- Able to drive and support key strategic vision
Catamaran Bio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.